Atkelar (atkelar) wrote,

  • Mood:

Woodworking log #12

I got another two days of work to report, still setting up the shop...

The main dust collection pipe is now going all around the designated "power tool area". I removed the rubber gaskets to make it easier to connect the pipes and sealed them with duct tape. I am therefore one of the very few hobbyists who uses duct tape for the very same purpose it came about in the first place. What's next? WD-40 for water displacement?

What turns out to be a much bigger challenge however is to create the sliding "valves" that I came up with. The prove of concept worked nice, so the method in itself is a "go". But it's almost impossible to glue these pipes together in a way that provides mechanical stability. I even tried PVC glue on the PVC pipes and it snapped off with little to no force at all. Bummer. I was hoping to get around a solution that required screws because they will protrude on the inside of the pipe and thus might block some larger chips. I hate potential blockages.

I did film some of the construction, so I might create a video from it when it's done.

Also, I mounted some outlets to connect the machines. That way I have no extension cord mess running through my shop for the regular tools and can keep them plugged in. Well, sorta. There's a 16A 3-phase plug on the other end of the wiring so I can plug in that setup as a unit. I might permanently connect it at a later time. Not worth the effort just yet. The only powertool I'm expecting to use the 3-phase outlet is going to be my (hopefully soon arriving) drill press. I can live with swapping plugs for that for now.

Oh, and I found something better than the wire from the last picture! Here you can see it, along with one of the four double-outlets I stuck to the wall.

Tags: woodworking, workshop

  • YouTube... or rather Google.

    Well, the most recent update in the TOS of YouTube did cause quite a stir, to the point that there are now petitions going around. And here's where I…

  • WTF: Graphics "design"

    This time: PDF and "graphics artists". Don't get me wrong, I do respect the amount of work that go into graphical artwork and design, not a problem…

  • WTF - Fitness Tracker

    Well... after resisting the urge for the longest time I finally caved and got myself one of these nifty fitness tracker wristbands. I stood in the…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded