Atkelar (atkelar) wrote,

What a couple of days...

Yesterday was nice. Had an awesome lunch and then I got myself a nice tablesaw. Not quite "pro" but very close at least. sturdy when compared with others in the hardware store, 1500W motor, 0-45° and enough cutting depth so I can cut just about every piece of wood that I can think of using for projects.
Of course I had to try it right then and there. But hey... it has a vacuum cleaner sized hookup for dust collection. Hmmm... I have that saw, a small band saw and a belt sander that all produce quite a mess when properly used. Soooo... here's where today comes in!

A few weeks ago, a dust collector in another hardware store caught my eye. Cheap enough as an "add on" to the saw and good enough for my little workshop. So, I went in and got it today. And here's where it gets ugly. I can not tell you yet whether it works or not. Because I couldn't finish putting it together! Here's a rundown what was wrong:

1.: The exploded diagram in the manual might be helpful, if it were accurate. But it shows wrong connections that just don't fit and of course you have to disassemble part of it to move the parts to the right position. Frustrating as hell when you work alone and have to use three to four hands at a time to get that first screw in...

2.: The very same drawing has all the parts numbered. Nice. Very tidy. They go from 1 to 45. But hey! There's no index as to what part is supposed to be what! So that drawing suggests "hey, you can order spare parts!" - but NOT like this. Why is that one important you say: the steel belts that tighten the two bags (filter and collection bag) are of slightly different size... but they let you guess which one is supposed to be which.

3.: Speaking of these belts: One came badly warped... but that can be considered cosmetics. Still, they are slightly different... both of them fit the filter bag with different slack before fastening, but neither of them fits the collection bag. Arghs!

4.: Oh, there's an electrical schematic included too: it shows three wires going into the machine, labelled L, N, L3 and PE. Yes, not a typo. Three lines, four labels. L/N is connected to a switch, whos output conitunes from ONE pin to the engine. So... the engine is connected with a switched N (or L3 depending on how you read it) and a PE. MAGIC!

5.: Also, I'm pretty sure that the CE conformity report isn't supposed to say "xx dB(A)" for "Noise measured", is it? Shouldn't there be an actual number there? Not up to date on the red tape here and maybe that's only required for certain things...

If all of that sounds pretty "made in China" to you... it's actually "made in Germany"... according to that CE "document". Yay for German engineering!

EDIT: As a sidenote: I did not expect that thing to be "the perfect thing" for the price it was. I knew it had to have some quirks. But can we at least have the right parts in the bag and a complete (and up to date) manual with it, no matter how cheap?

EDIT #2: Here's the schematic. It must work by magic! (click for full size)
Schematic diagram of my dust extractor... magic!
Tags: techtalk, tools, woodworking, workshop

  • Videos and other stuff...

    As you might have noticed, I decided to keep up my YouTube video production at an every-other-week schedule as close as possible. So far, since…

  • SX-64 Restoration Project

    This is going to be a rather long story about me and my very first computer... or rather not "mine" as in "owning" but rather "my first" as in "the…

  • The End of YouTube

    That's it... I've been tolerant with policy changes around YouTube for quite a long time now. But the recent decision to "improve the commenting…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded