Atkelar (atkelar) wrote,

  • Mood:

Electrical adventure...

I noticed that my office was a bit dim tonight and found out by the rarely ever practiced scientific method of looking up that one of the two flourescent tubes in my lamp has decided that it didn't want to work for me anymore. It quit without any advanced notice.

Sooooo... no big deal. I open up the lamp, turn the tube (carefully and with closed eyes in case something breaks) and take it out. Fine. From the last time I replaced the lamp I had a left over tube from the old one that still worked so I wanted to put in that one. Hrmpf. Too short. By at least ten inches. Why didn't I see that earlier? So I have to get a new tube and throw out two old ones. Sigh. Expenses. But since I have to buy a new tube, I figured it would be a good idea to replace the starter as well. I already know that they get a bit brittle from the heat between the tubes so I touch it ever so gently, close my eyes again and at the slightest hint of turning it... the housing crumbles and I hold the inside between my fingers. Scared the hell out of me. Lucky me, the inside is insulated as well. Who builds these crappy plastic shells??? They should be made to replace some of their own creations sometime.

Edit: Have a picture -
Tags: danger, electricity

  • "The Clock" project...

    ...has been an interesting project for sure. But let's start at the beginning: As I'm sure I mentioned at some time, my grandfather passed away only…

  • Eurofurence 20 - Con Report

    Eurofurence 20 - Con Report First off: it was a blur for me this year... running two departments isn't really all that easy to begin with, and one…

  • Photographic shelf life

    As you might remember, I am occasionally getting my hands wet with photographic chemicals and try to do so on a regular basis. But, alas, time is…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded